NEW YORK (AP) — A federal grand jury has indicted a man suspected of shooting down a New York City subway train last month — an attack that left 10 people injured and shakes up a city already experiencing an uptick in violent crime. .
The panel charged Frank James, 62, Friday with committing a terrorist attack or other violence against a mass transportation system and firing a firearm during a violent crime. Both counts carry a maximum life sentence. The number of weapons carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years.
James was arrested on April 13, about 30 hours after authorities said he had driven out of Philadelphia and released smoke bombs and dozens of bullets into a morning commuter train as it approached a Brooklyn station. The victims of the shooting ranged in age from 16 to 60; all were expected to survive.
Authorities said James’ bank card, cell phone and a key to a van he had rented were found at the scene of the shooting. Police also said they found the gun used in the shooting and traced it to James.
James is jailed without bail. An arraignment is not yet scheduled, according to the US law firm for the Eastern District of New York.
A lawyer representing James at the time of his arrest warned him not to rush into judgment and noted that James notified police of his whereabouts. James was arrested in Manhattan’s East Village after calling a tip line that he was at a fast food restaurant in that part of town.
A motive for the attack is unclear. In numerous rants he posted on YouTube, James, who is black, made bigoted comments about people from diverse backgrounds and railed against New York Mayor Eric Adams and complained about the mental health he received in the city years ago.
JOIN THE CALL