National Tourism Day is celebrated annually on May 7 and falls during National Travel and Tourism Week.
National Travel and Tourism Week was first celebrated in May 1983 after President Ronald Reagan signed a proclamation to that effect. The weeklong celebration falls on the first full week of May. It is observed to create awareness about the importance of tourism in the economy of the country.
Tourism, badly hit by the global outbreak of COVID-19, is gaining momentum as most countries open their borders to vaccinated travelers.
National Tourism Day falls just one day after Tourist Appreciation Day. Here are some quotes, courtesy of Tour Radar, about travel to share on this day.
1. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
2. “We travel not to escape life, but not to let life escape us.” – Unknown
3. “I’m not a great book, I’m not a great artist, but I like art and I like food, so I’m the perfect traveler.” – Michael Palin
4. “I’m not the same one who saw the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
5. “People don’t travel, journeys take people.” – John Steinbeck
6. “The best journeys in life are the ones that answer those questions you never thought you’d ask.” Rich Ridgeway
7. “Travel is evolving.” – Pierre Bernardo
8. “Certainly, traveling is more than seeing the sights; it is a change that continues, deep and permanent, in the ideas of life.” – Miriam Beard
9. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well.” – Eugene Fodor
10. “Travel – it makes you speechless and then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta